- To encourage the collection and preservation of items of local interest
- To facilitate the sharing of information and expertise in the area of local history
- Produce newsletter for members
- Hold workshops on preservation techniques
- Co-sponsor activities with the historical library and archives
- Promote disaster preparedness for local history collections
- Working on a directory of local history information
Who would benefit from membership?
- Any ILA member interested in local history collections
- Reference librarians, historical society archivists, and genealogists
2018 Subdivision Officers
Local History and Genealogy
A Subdivision of the Iowa Library Association
Deciding whether or not to maintain a local history collection for your community is often based on what you already have in your collection and what other organizations in your community are offering. Having a local history collection means giving your community a unique resource that both local residents and visitors will use. Many of those users will be genealogists. Genealogy is one of the most popular hobbies in this country and one that requires a lot of research. Genealogists are frequent library users.
The Local History and Genealogy subdivision's purpose is to encourage the preservation and dissemination of the history of Iowa's libraries, communities, and regions by its libraries. To accomplish that end, the subdivision sponsors sessions at the Iowa Library Association conference on preservation, collection development, archives, genealogy, and more.
Become a member by checking the Local History and Genealogy subdivision on your ILA membership form. By joining, you will insure that there continues to be conference sessions on local history and genealogy topics to help you create and maintain a unique resource for your library and have an opportunity to network with other librarians interested in these topics.
Some Helpful Links:
Iowa Historic Preservationb Alliance
State Historical Society of Iowa Archival Preservation Assisstance
Iowa Conservation and Preservation Consortium
Midwest Art conservation Center
Consortium of Iowa Archivists
Iowa Genealogical Society
Genealogy Links by Topics
2010 Sponsored ILA Sessions:
Gathering, Sifting, and Putting Together the Pieces: Researching Your Historic Property
Helping Your Patrons ClimbTheir Family Tree: Ancestor Hunting at the State Historical Society of Iowa - Des Moines
Serving Genealogists: Helping Your Patrons Climb Their Family Trees
Organizing a Local History Collection in a Small Library